Champion Motors Company began in 1935 when
the founders contracted with a tool and press shop to produce an
outboard motor. The owners of the production shop later went on to found
Scott-Atwater Outboard Motors. An unrelated "Champion" outboard motor
was produced by the Flour City Ornamental Iron Company beginning in 1927
but was in no way related to the later Champion Motors.
Champion began selling motors through the
Firestone Tire and Rubber Company in 1939. After World War II, Champion
secured its own manufacturing facilities but lost the Firestone contract
to Scott-Atwater. Production continued from 1946 through 1957 with many
Champion outboards sold through chain stores and labeled with the store
brands such as Voyager, Majestic, and Sea Flyer (sold by B.F. Goodrich).
One of the most notable offerings by
Champion was the "Tandem 33", a twin pair of 16.5 HP counter-rotating
outboards for cruiser and heavy runabout applications. The Tandem 33 was
introduced in 1957, the last year of production for Champion. Unlike
many competitors, Champion never offered an electric-start option for
their outboard motors. The lack of convenient features as well as
failure to secure a niche in the cruiser and runabout market probably
contributed to Champion's demise.
In 1958, the Champion Motors Co. was
bought by Western Tool and Stamping Co. of Des Moine, Iowa (March 30,
1958 Chicago Tribune). New outboard motors were not produced.